Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew

I'm not sure if I've ever actually made a beef stew, but I've always wanted to find a nice hearty recipe for a cold wintery day. Over the last few weeks I've actually been making recipes that I've collected on Pinterest (I know, that's the point of Pinterest, but I'd venture a guess that most people don't ever get around to most of their pins). I'm now on a quest for the best beef stew recipe, so if you have suggestions, suggest away. Here's a good one we tried last night: Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew from this blog.

Start by peeling and preparing your carrots, potatoes, and parsnips. What's a parsnip, you ask? I asked myself that too, and when I bought them in the store, I honestly felt pretty awesome. They're basically like a carrot, but evidently sweeter when cooked. They look cool too, don't you think? Once cut into 1-inch chunks, set your roots aside.



Next, sauté half of the beef (seasoned with salt and pepper) in a large skillet (with 2 tsp oil) and, once browned, add it to the slow cooker. Finish browning up the second half of the beef in another 2 tsp of oil. After the meat is out of your skillet, add onions (with 2 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt), and sauté till browned (about 5 minutes)...then add Guinness (except for 1/4 cup), spices, chicken broth, and chocolate and bring to a boil. This will smell glorious. Be sure you've hidden the bottle of Guinness where people who like it won't find it so that you don't have to run to the store to buy more in the morning, looking like someone who can't get past 9am without a dry stout.



Transfer liquid to Crock Pot, then add your root vegetables. Cook on high for 9-10 hours. About 15 minutes out from the meal, mix up the remaining 1/4 cup of Guinness and flour...add it to the slow cooker and cook on high for 15-20 minutes to thicken up the stew. Serve with some yummy crusty bread and enjoy! This makes a hearty portion, so you'll have some nice leftovers to feast on as well.



Here are the ingredients you'll need:
4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped about 2 cups
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 cups Guinness Draught
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 bay leaves
8 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (the recipe said 5, but I think it needed more)
1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1-1/2 lbs baby red potatoes (about 24), scrubbed
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
Bread for serving on the side

1 comment:

lao said...

oh my goodness! this is the best beef stew recipe out there. I love it and have made it probably a half-dozen times in the last few years.