Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Our Sweet Molly

It is with a heavy and broken heart that I can finally bring myself to write about the loss of our sweet Molly. After refusing to eat and some other complications, TK and I noticed that our girl was looking bloated and wasn't acting like herself. Sluggish and weary, we learned from the vet that she was bleeding into her abdomen, and he was fairly certain that it was caused by some kind of cancer. It was obvious that she was going fast and that she might not even last the rest of the day. We brought her home so that we could spend what little time we had left with her and she had some visitors. Sensing it was time, TK's strong arms embraced her body that had so quickly grown weak over the day's short hours. As Hauna, Taylor, TK and I said our last goodbyes and she breathed her last at the vet, we knew we were losing a part of our family. Just a few days ago, TK had taken her to play at the beach, where she ran and swam and didn't tire. And now, all of a sudden, she's not here.

I'm certain that I cannot write anything that would do justice to the love my family has for Molly. For eleven wonderful years she has been the truest friend and our constant companion. I was always so proud of her... she always listened, never barked, didn't bother people, and was always gentle. She lived to please and to love.

Over the past week it's been so strange to adjust to life without her. It feels lonely in the house without her keeping us company. Sometimes I think I hear her collar rattling, or her paws coming. I forget that I don't need to make sure her water bowl is filled or that I don't need to take her on a walk. Sometimes, without thinking, I almost start to talk to her...to tell her not to worry about that rolling thunder, or to ask her if she'd like a treat for being such a good girl. I can barely stand to sweep the floor, knowing that slowly, but surely, some day there won't be any more of her hair to sweep up.

I want to feel her soft ears. I want her to shake my hand like she used to with out me even asking. I miss hearing her and TK wrestling upstairs having the time of their lives. I need to come home after work to her wagging tail and her big smile. I wish I could once more see her circle a few times before she'd find a place to sit. I want her to make us laugh again by jumping into our old swimming pool and finding her way out by way of the pool ladder. I want to take her on a hike and see her run about three miles for every one of mine walked. I wish I could to see her legs running while she sleeps, chasing rabbits or finding dumpsters full of garbage in her dreams.

My furry sister was such a sweet, pretty, and smart girl and it was my honor and privilege to know her. I cherish every walk I took her on and every time I stopped what I was doing to play with her or just sit and be with her. I'm thankful for all the trips on which we took her along over the last year because we couldn't stand to leave her alone or be without her sweet spirit. I'm so glad her quality of life was so healthy until just the other day. I'm grateful that she loved and embraced TK and that he had the chance to be her owner. He showered her with his love and energy.

So many people have let us know how much they enjoyed her and have shared so many kind words with us on her passing. Even people who didn't like dogs loved being around her and I know she was truly a saint among dogs. I hope she knew how much we loved her and what a perfect and good girl she was. This deep wound will surely heal, but I believe it will be fresh for a while still.

12 comments:

Amy and Andrew said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sweet companion. We loved Molly too and will miss her deeply. Andrew still talks about the last time he saw her. I'm so grateful we had time to be with her here in Chicago. She was so adaptable... she seemed to love Chicago just as much as little Ashville. She truly lived to please... and please she did.

Anonymous said...

Molly, you will always be loved. May the rest of us strive to be as good natured, patient and accepting as you always were. Amen.

Anonymous said...

You're right...it did make me cry. It is so apparent that Molly was a blessing to many. She will be missed!

Vivian Love said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. We lost our "Molly"--our basset hound years ago and I still get a lump in my throat when I talk about her. Remember all dogs go to heaven! I'm sure of it!

Kate D said...

Hi Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Molly looks *just* like the dog I grew up with named Sophie. She died in 2000 and I still miss her. By the way, have you read Marley and Me? If not, you might want to wait until your wounds aren't so fresh. Even then, it's guaranteed to make you cry!

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen. I'm sure that Molly was the first to be interviewed by Tim Russert as she entered those marvelous gates. Thank you Sarah and TK, and Taylor and Hauna for being so good with her and for her in her last hours. Sadly, Jakob, her original and true owner was out of town when this all happened. You too, Jakob, were a wonderful master.

Alli said...

Oh sweet, sweet Molly. Remember how nervous she was when she first got to the city? Hauna brought her over (she couldn't come in because we were painting), and she was shaking like crazy. Didn't take her long to become a city girl, though. A truly good dog.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I had to read your post in parts because I kept tearing up so much I could not see. She was such sweet girl. I will never forget when you moved to Ashville and she was just a puppy. She would pee when she got excited and sad when she could not go past the step in the kitchen. Always willing to lend her paw to you while you sat. Her sweet face and love for everyone around her. Here's to you dear Molly!!!

trcdkk said...

It will be 5 years this November that my parents took our dog to the vet and were told that her stomach was full of blood and she had cancer. So to say I know exactly how you felt is an understatement. So so so sorry for a loss that is unique to true dog lovers.

Carol said...

oh, sarah. she will be missed. i'm so sorry she is gone. she was such a good dog.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful post and tribute to your wonderful girl. So sorry for this loss you are enduring.

Shannon said...

I came to your blog through Qulting Bloggers. I'm in tears now, but I want you to know how much I appreciate this entry. Thank you for sharing Molly with me. I am sorry for your loss.