Thursday, January 13, 2011

Under the Chestnut Tree

Have you done a puzzle recently? I mean, like a good old-fashioned jigsaw puzzle? My sister-in-law spent her Christmas devouring them and reminded me of their joys and merits. And now I'm hooked.

As a general rule, I consider myself to be a formidable competitor when it comes to puzzles. Race me in a crossword or Sudoku and I'll probably make a bold statement and with confidence claim that I'll be able to win. Crosswords, cryptograms, Tetris, Mahjong, whatever...you name it, I'll solve it. Honestly, it's what I'm good at.

When Jessica told me about her puzzle-filled holiday weekend, I recalled the jigsaw puzzles I owned, but had never opened. I thought of them sitting alone and fragmented in my closet, wishing with all their might to be connected to their bona fide neighbors, asking someone who cared to solve them.

I broke out this good old country scene called "Under the Chestnut Tree." 1000 pieces is a nice challenge for someone who hasn't done a jigsaw puzzle since they were in high-school. The chestnut tree was a real doozie, since all the pieces practically looked the same.

At the risk of sounding like a total and complete loser, doing a jigsaw puzzle is a really good time. I love the patience it takes and the satisfaction I find in figuring out just the right place for each piece. I love being able to leave it and come back as I wish. I love that there was no technology involved and nothing plugged in while you work on it. I love knowing that it's just being solved for fun and that when you're done, it will just be taken apart and put away.

Onto my next puzzle which my husband got me last year. It's Da Vinci's "Last Supper" which has little contrast throughout and is broken into 2000 lovely pieces. This one might take a while.

10 comments:

Linnea said...

I love puzzles and all the other games you mentioned. I did the Crytoquip in the paper every morning in high school. I wonder if I could get away with a puzzle being left out in our house with a certain almost three old taking some pieces and then losing them.

Amy and Andrew said...

Here's to some good old fashioned fun... with a record player crooning in the background.

Jessica said...

Watch out! Puzzle fever is hard to shake.. we are still working on it!!

Aune said...

I have a friend who can make her own sudoku puzzles...can you do that? Do you remember?! Ha! PS. I'll take you down in tetris, anytime.

Bea said...

Love puzzles! We actually have a work group that meets at lunch time a few times a month to work on a puzzle together.

Catherine said...

Oh yes I'm totally with you ondoing puzzles. LOVE them! I have oneon the go at themoment. It's a WASGIJ one which are a real challenge because you have no picture to work with. My husband doesn't get it and I'm sure just thinks they are a complete time waster.

Michelle said...

I love jigsaw puzzles. Did a couple of Christmas break. May be time to break out another!

Heidi G said...

I actually advise/recommend some of the kids I work with do puzzles. They are good for mental health and self care. For some kids with anger issues it gets them in a more coherent less hijacked state of mind. :)

hydeeann said...

i am addicted to this particular puzzle line and artist. heronim, right? love the colors, lines, shapes and nostalgia in his work. and the details make the puzzles so easy! definitely love 'em. each one is like a mini vacation into that particular colorway and scene.

Unknown said...

Puzzles are one of my favorite chautauqua projects. Love reading your blog, Sara and really love the birthday photos!