Thursday, October 22, 2009

All Grown Up

It is my experience that the modern world is majorly lacking in official rites of passage. As a twenty-something, I find myself constantly questioning whether I'm really an adult or when it was - if yet - that I "grew up." Am I "legit" when I am done with college? When I have a job? If I get married? When I buy a car? If I have my own apartment? When I contribute to society? When I find out what I want to "be?" Maybe people have always felt this way throughout the centuries, but I think it's safe to assume most modern-day young adults don't quite know where they fit into the landscape of "adulthood" and where it started.

At long last, I might be one step closer to feeling a little more grown up. We bought a new couch that screams sophistication. Nothing says, "I'm responsible and have a job and can pay my bills," like a grown up couch ordered from a store and delivered to your house. Just look at this beauty. Modern design. Tweed upholstery. Clean lines. Perfect.

Until a few weeks ago, I had an old set of couches for almost 6 years that had an imaginary sign on them that read "bachelor pad." Now rid of them, I can face the coming challenges and responsibilities that are sure to come in life knowing that at least we have the couch of our dreams.

13 comments:

Erika said...

My dad always said you became an adult when you bought your first car from a dealership. I agree with him, but I think buying furniture (especially if it matches!) is definitely a sign of adulthood.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to adulthood! That's a great sofa. Can you share where it's from?

Catherine said...

Oh for sure your definitely an adult now!! Looks like you can really stretch out on that one.I can just see one of your quilts casually draped over the back rest.

Kaye Prince said...

Oh I love your new sofa! The tweed is especially spectacular.

I think the same things. I'm 25, and would generally consider myself an adult. But then I think: I just went back to school and am doing my Masters so I don't have a "normal" job, I'm not married (but live with my partner), my Mum still gives me food (I don't ask for it though), and I'm still unsure of exactly what or who I want to be. Maybe the fact that I think about these things does make me an adult.

Jessica said...

I've been feeling the same way recently--I'm turning 2-5 in a couple of weeks and wonder am I an adult or not?
I am planning to get a couch and a new kitchen table so maybe that is the new right of passage?
I do love the couch you picked!

Melissa said...

Yummmmmmmmy. Love C&B furniture!

Dave B. said...

I think it may be when you describe "home" as wherever you are living and not where your parents live. Or for me it is when I bought my own piece of clothing for the first time about two years ago. I realize that this is not the normal experience. The couch is wonderful.

Elizabeth said...

I don't know when you're supposed to feel like an adult. I've bought my own car, my own home (and sold it too) and moved across the country. But at age 36 I'm still not sure I'm an adult.

amylouwhosews said...

I sometimes wonder how I became an adult and who thought it was a good idea to put me in charge of 2 (3!!) kids!

Love the new couch!!

simplicity said...

That last sentence kills me...."the couch of our dreams."
love it! You're totally an adult now!

Amy said...

For me, growing up was getting a dog. But a couch works too. It's very pretty!

Big Sis said...

When I got all "grown up" I decided they should do away with wedding showers, and have "grown up showers" - especially with people getting married later into adulthood (although by then you sometimes need replacements for the first go-round).

Linnea said...

Loving the tweed! Very sophisticated. Get some good fabric cleaner for baby J. :)