Thursday, January 15, 2009

Carhartts for the (Stylish) Tradesman

I could probably devote an entire series of posts to the love and admiration TK and his best friend Andrew have for their Carhartts. Both of them are hard working tradesmen types who depend on the warmth and durability of their favorite pants. These clowns will find any excuse to stand outside in the cold so that they can experience how well their insulated "bibs" work at keeping them at an optimal temperature.

My guess is that most men who wear Carhartts (or other durable work-wear) are satisfied with the cut and fit of Carhartt's offerings - Traditional, Relaxed, and Loose Fit. Not my man. He's a little more of the Bootcut sort. Comfort, durability, and style should not be underestimated when remodeling kitchens and bathrooms.

Enter my sewing machine and some $6.99/yard duct fabric. A goal of mine this year is to tackle any and all sewing opportunities that come my way so that I can hone my skills and broaden my repertoire. Here are the new and improved Bootcut Fit Carhartts ready for anything contracting can throw at them.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! I loooooove Carhartts on men.

Amy and Andrew said...

Ha! I must admit, I have benefited greatly from Andrew's love affair with his bibs. All of a sudden, he loves shoveling. And going out to warm up the car. And taking the Christmas tree outside. And having a smoke of his pipe at midnight (well, maybe I don't benefit from that one so much).

Ann-Marie said...

I'm with Alexis. My hubby has a pair he leaves at his family's lake house, but I often think I should buy him a pair to wear around ours!

Nice work on the boot-cuttery. Again, I am insanely impressed!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, boys. How we love them...

But seriously. Super cute. Thumbs up, my sewing diva.

Unknown said...

That is the most impressive tailoring I've seen. Congrats.

Jena said...

looks fabulous! makes me wish my husband was a Carhartt pants guy so he could wear Carhartts like these--not that any seweing job I could do would be anywhere near as impressive. (alas, my man's a straight-leg jeans guy, and doesn't like carpenter- or painter-style jeans, and as yet, we haven't found Carhartts that are just plain straight-leg jeans around here.)

amylouwhosews said...

This is so great! Good job on the tailoring.

Amy said...

Excellent work!

Jake's dad wears Carhartts for work and I've developed a healthy respect for them - we had a baby pair of overalls for Quinn (which, of course, he has outgrown) and they were just adorable on him!

Lindahl News 2 said...

John and Jed are both Carhartts wearers, too!

Karen said...

You gotta love a Carhartt Man! I know I do. Great Job!!!

Melissa said...

You. KILLME!

You are so creative and talented, I literally shake my head in amazement when reading your posts.

So excited for the day you open Sarah's Shop!!! I'll be the first in line...after serving up some catered treats at the grand opening, of course. ;)

Sara said...

I love my carhartss, probably as much as just about any man. All of us have the whole shebang (bibs and coats). But I do love that extra fabric you inserted...might have to check into that...

Rachel said...

Awesome. Now how about whipping up some insulated bibs for a girl horse vet with a 36 inch inseam that actually fits a girl's body? I am so very tired of looking like a man :-)

Seriously, those look great!

Dana said...

Sweet!!! Great that you have the skills to alter them like that!

Don't be scared about the January block. Just dive in. The water is fine. :)

jk said...

What a wonderful modification your made!