Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Batter Bowl = Better Bowl

A few months ago, before we had unpacked all of our wedding gifts, I was searching through my kitchen high and low for a mixing bowl. I had an old metal one that was small and shallow and just wasn't cutting it anymore. I would literally have to mix half of a recipe in this joker and then mix the rest after transferring the first half into another container. Sound confusing and complicated? It was... and I desperately needed something that worked. We must have gotten a mixing bowl that I just haven't found yet, I thought to my bowl-less self.

I ventured down into the basement where a few boxes still remained, and to my utter delight hit the jackpot. I found this beauty - given to me by one of my very best friends - and since then I have had no need for any other mixing bowl.
First of all, it has an easy to grip handle which I have found very convenient for pouring, mixing, and generally not losing control of the contents within. It is also relatively deep and can hold a decent amount of, well, whatever it is you're mixing. Another bonus would be its pouring spout. Even in smaller recipes, I use my precious batter bowl. I will wash it several times during a making of a meal if it means I get to keep using it throughout the process.

You can search high and low, but I promise you you won't find what you are looking for in a mixing bowl until you buy this one. It's on sale right now at Crate and Barrel for the low price of $9.95. I repeat, $9.95. I'd advise you to get yourself one... or stock up so that you can give anyone you know with a kitchen a present they'll cherish for all time. You may think I'm exaggerating, but I'm being completely honest here. Who knew a mixing bowl could be so exhilarating?

UPDATE (4/17/08) - Crate and Barrel doesn't stock the bowl anymore...fools! You can find it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh, but it DOES look like an awesome bowl.

Melissa said...

Hmmm, tempting. My favorite mixing bowl is a ceramic one from C&B, but this is worth getting a few to have on hand!

Amy and Andrew said...

If I may add to your list of positive attributes, I think one of the best things about it is that it is lightweight. I really dislike mixing and pouring from a heavy bowl, not to mention washing it.

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

I mix in glass bowls and they're not big enough and slippery little suckers. I love that this one has a handle. I'll have to see if my husband loves me enough to walk from his office to the C&B down the street to buy it for me. :) Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I have lots of bowls, but I might just have to get that one, too. It looks great. Thanks!

Shirley said...

I popped over from Simply Stork. I have a great mixing bowl from Good Grips that I got for a wedding gift - WOW - 8 years ago (maybe they don't even make them anymore - HA!) But, I can definitely relate that a good mixing bowl is a must.
Also - your sisters book looks like a great read - I'll have to keep my eyes out for it.
Blessings!
Shirley

Anonymous said...

i don't need a mixing bowl but it is darned cute.