Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Dad and Me

Today is my dad's birthday, so I'll send him a shout out! I think it is interesting how a person really is a combination of their parents or caregivers. It's pretty usual for a girl to see all the ways she is like her mom and for a guy to see ways in which he emulates his dad, but I think it is telling when similarities with your parent of the opposite gender are evident.

There are so many things that he's instilled in me which I think I take for granted or assume are just my own individual characteristics when they really are from him. He gave me a love of camping and being out in the woods. I still love playing with Legos because he would come home from work and play blocks with me all the time when I was a little girl. Through his selfless example of devotion to his family and hard work I believe I am a more giving and hardworking person than I might have been. He has taught me leadership that is wise and fair. He's taught me to appreciate out-dated and cheesy Christmas movies. As a Christian, he's shown me how to think outside of the box as far as who God is and who God loves. He's shown me a bigger and more diverse God than I would have known just from my own experience. We both love soundtracks to music. We both like wine. We don't take ourselves too seriously.

Happy Birthday, Dad...I'm glad you were born not so long ago so that you could have such an impact on the world and on me. I love you, Daddy-poo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks sweet Sarah. You are a gem. Perhaps we can play some legos over Christmas when we are together.

Hauna said...

Love you, daddy-kins!